Gay Couples and the Divorce Rate
Updated on August 15, 2018
For female-female couples:
- Every year the relationship goes on added year of relationship length reduced the odds of a breakup by 13%
- Each year of age lowered the likelihood of a breakup by 4%
- Each year of increase in education reduced the odds by 16%
- Relationship quality, in every unit, reduced the likelihood by 82%
When looking at all couple types together:
- Each year of relationship length reduced the odds of a breakup by 9%
- Every additional year of age lowered the likelihood of a breakup by 2%
- Each unit of increase in relationship quality reduced the risk by 61%
There were no differences in dissolution rates between same-sex couples who had legalized their relationship and those who had not.
For all groups, lower income and whether or not couples had children did not affect the odds of a relationship ending.
Alexander Hernandez, Esq.