The 9th Circuit Allows for Open Carry
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees a right to the open carry of a firearm.
In a 2-1 decision, the appellate court ruled that the state of Hawaii infringed on the rights of plaintiff George Young. Young had applied twice for a permit to carry his firearm in public, but was denied. In Hawaii, open carry requires a license/permit.
“We do not take lightly the problem of gun violence. But, for better or for worse, the Second Amendment does protect a right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense.”- Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain.
Gun Violence Archives is a non-profit organization that categorizes every single incident of gun violence in the United States. Per their website in 2018, there has been a total of 32,705 incidents related to guns/firearms.
- Total Number of Deaths- 8,162
- Number of Injuries- 15,813
- Number of Children Killed or Injured Under the Age of Eleven – 390
- Number of Teenagers Killed or Injured (Ages 12-17) 1,612
- Mass Shootings- 189
- Office Involved Shootings with Injuries or Death – 162
- Office Involved Shootings Where the Subject was Shot or Killed – 1,244
- Home Invasion Shootings 1,157
- Defensive Use of a Firearm – 1,105
- Unintentional Shootings- 966
The Ninth Circuit is comprised of the following states:
- For the 9th Circuit Court’s Website, click here.
Alexander Hernandez, Esq.
Twitter Handle- @mcatty_alex
Alexander Hernandez represents clients in the areas of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Family Law/Divorce, and car and motorcycle accidents.
(904) 712-5565 or (305)-688-LAWS (5297).